Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well, here we are, January 3rd and suddenly it's 2008! I've been going through emails and working at some projects to get a good start to the new year.

Over the break, one project at home was to clean out and organize my closet. Wow, it's amazing how I accumulate things when I'm not being careful! When I moved to Asia a few years ago, the freedom that came with moving with a couple of carry-ons and only 2 suitcases (even if they do weigh 70 pounds each!) was wonderful. Every successive year, though, I took two more suitcases and slowly built up quite a collection of books, clothes, and household items... moving back to the States was quite an adventure, since I could only bring those 2 pieces of luggage back with me. ;) (My favorite things for that world are still waiting for me to move back to the other side of the earth and put them back to use.)


All that said, the new year has me thinking about all the baggage I carry around: in life, in my mind, in my heart: isn't it wonderful that God gives us new chances to start again? New days, new weeks, new months, and now a new year to make a new beginning.


I know this isn't an original thought, but I still think it's a worthwhile exercise I want to think through: what can I clean out of my life, to make more wide open space to breathe freely and consider my priorities?


Another thing I treasure from my time in Asia is the deep relationships that were built up with my teammates, with whom I shared a strong sense of calling and vocation, even with many other differences in background, temperament and theology. Our team here at the Center is similar: we come from different nations and backgrounds, but we are called to work together at this time to see God's plan to reach the nations extended through kingdom business.


For myself, I want to renew my commitment to working and serving well this year; though not on the front lines myself, I know that my work in the RCE office is what the Lord has called me to for this time and He is the One I want to please.


May 2008 be a year of blessing for you!

No comments: