Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Results of the Business Plan Competition

Tuesday, May 3 (Business Plan Competition Today!)

Dr. John Mulford

Before we got to the fun of the business plan competition, I had the unpleasant task of telling three students that they had not successfully completed the program. I tried to make a positive outcome by telling them that we would continue working with them to help them master the material and succeed in their businesses. It felt like meetings I have had with people when I had to lay them off. No amount of encouragement can offset the shock and disappointment.

One woman began crying uncontrollably. I didn’t know what to say to her and she was having trouble understanding my English anyway. Fortunately Chrystel was there to act as interpreter and a second voice of encouragement. Chrystel spent an hour with the woman after she left my office. I then learned that today’s disappointment was just one in a long sequence of major setbacks. Rwanda is in two weeks of mourning for the genocide. This woman lost both parents and several siblings in the genocide, so it is a sad memory to say the least. Recently, her husband went blind. That created much tension in their marriage. They have eight children living with them, including extended family. Next she lost her job. And then, last night someone stole her cell phone. So you can imagine that her emotions were pretty raw when I met with her. To my surprise, she came to the business plan competition tonight to cheer on her colleagues. I introduced her to Dale Neill, President of ICCC. He encouraged her. Then we had a chance to pray for her. She was very thankful. She still has much to overcome.

The business plan competition went great--six excellent presentations of solid businesses. I’m glad I wasn’t judging.

John Bosco won first place for his sand hauling business. He is already operating the business with a $50,000 line of credit. He said he needs another $50K so he can double his deliveries. One judge asked how much of the company he could buy for the $50K. John Bosco said he wanted a loan; he didn’t want to give up equity. Everyone laughed.

Aline won second place for her mushroom growing business. She impressed the judges with her knowledge and her ability to answer all their questions. She directs the mushroom growing promotion program for the agriculture department of Rwanda.

Apollo, representative of the Rwanda Development Board, was extremely impressed with the quality of the businesses and the presentations.

No comments: