Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blessings Found in Kigali!

From Jason Benedict

Saturday 9/10

I arrived Saturday to rain and cool temperatures here in Kigali. It was actually nice to drink in the familiar sights, sounds, smells. Solace Guest House has become a kind of home away from home. It’s amazing to think that by the end of this two weeks I will have spent the better part of 4 months here. The 31 hour trip is taxing - I crashed for about an hour then went back to the airport with Donatien, our on-site director, to pick up visiting executive Dale Fenwick.

Sunday 9/11

Dale and I went to the early service at Restoration Evangelical Church a number of our entrepreneurs have come from REC, and I was able to share a little about the BDC with the congregation. I was able to get some work done in preparation for the busy week ahead. Dale Fenwick and I had dinner with a graduate who has a mining project in the DRC. Dale has a degree in mine engineering and was a real blessing.

Monday 9/12

I started the day with a meeting with the BDC team. I was able to spend a little time orienting our new Office Manager here. I went from there to a follow-up meeting on the mining project. Dale and I were able to meet with the other member of our graduate’s team and make some real progress. Dona went to the airport to greet visiting executives Michael and Janet Schultz. We went for a working lunch at Mille Colline Hotel – where I spent some time orienting our visiting executives. We had a grand time in class – the entrepreneurs were enthusiastic and responsive (after a little cajoling). They were also eager to sign up for coaching time with our VEs, and I was happy to see their calendars filling up. Dale was the hero of the evening when he figured out how to solve a problem with the wireless router that was interfering with our marketing research activity.


In class, students work independently and collaboratively on projects and exercises.

            
                                          Dale Fenwick - the Hero!                                                                 Students enjoyed having meetings with our Visiting Executives

More to come about this most recent trip! Stay tuned.


No comments: