Friday, March 4, 2011

A "situation" back at home in Suffolk, VA: no water...

by Dr. John Mulford 

 Meanwhile, in Rwanda... (Thursday March 3)

The students are making good progress on their business strategies and positioning. I pushed them to get evidence to back up their ideas. They aren’t used to finding major data sources that report on whole markets or industries, but they have been very good at talking with potential customers and businesses in their industry. We talked about analyzing direct competitors tonight, and many knew exactly who their competitors are.

I continue to walk the tightrope between being sensitive and encouraging (not my strongest suit) and asking challenging questions to make sure that the students have solid plans (I have no trouble doing this). I was concerned that I came down too hard on Mathilde the other night. Her business is home delivery of groceries. I told her that the concept was a huge failure in the U.S., costing the investors millions of dollars. I said she better triple check her assumptions and numbers, or look for another idea (Pretty low on the sensitivity meter).

Fortunately, Mathilde is an entrepreneur who isn’t easily discouraged.
 During break she told me that despite my reservations, she planned to go ahead with her idea. “This has been my passion for four years. I have lined up many customers in my church of 3,000. I have identified fresh food suppliers. I also plan to provide a broad selection of fresh vegetables to hotels and restaurants.” Although she plans to have people order on line, she won’t be investing millions as the dot.coms did in the U.S. I encouraged her to start small and prove the concept.

Other items:

1. Early meeting with Apollo at RDB to discuss our partnership, primarily the facility they are supposed to provide. I don’t envy his position. Top government leaders have set up so many partnerships that the demand for quality office space exceeds the supply. Carnegie-Mellon is scheduled to occupy two floors in “our” building while they build a campus here. Babson College has space in the Private Sector Federation. Several NGO’s have space in various buildings. RDB likes our vision and early results, so they are doing their best to accommodate us.

Walked down the hall to visit with Pipien, who, now that he is no longer responsible for our project, is all smiles when he sees me. Today, he asked me if I could spare a half-day to speak to the managers of the 12 Business Development Centers he oversees. Unfortunately, they were meeting an hour out of town, so I couldn’t spare the time. I want to help him, since he has been saddled with centers that have not been successful. We agreed to schedule something for my next visit.

2. Next meeting was with the economic and commercial officer at the U.S. embassy. Incredibly elaborate security. Even after leaving all my electronics and being scanned to enter the compound, we went through about six locked doors to get to his office. It was eye opening to hear about all the U.S. programs for trade promotion. Alex agreed to help several of our graduates who need major equipment—medical and excavating—to connect with U.S. suppliers and to apply for financing guarantees. We also talked about USAID programs that might fit what we do, although they are heavily weighted to funding local partners battling aids and malaria. Alex said he would connect me with the Director.

3. Dona picked me up in a downpour. We had lunch with two amazing Kenyans who run the fastest growing insurance company in Kenya. I was impressed by their business acumen and super impressed by their values and business practices. The say and do everything we teach about business as a ministry. One of their products is micro-finance insurance with 300,000 customers in Kenya. The political violence after the 2008 elections destroyed the businesses of many of their clients. The policies excluded damage from political violence, but their company paid all the claims in full, because they believed it was the right thing to do. The goodwill from that decision generated huge loyalty.

Dona put together a team of Rwandans that plan to joint venture with the Kenyan company. Dona told me that he was prompted to pursue this venture by the comment I made when I left in December, that I had met an investor who was looking for investments in the $1-3M range. They need about a million for this project.

4. Had four visitors to our class tonight (every Thursday is open house). One was the woman I met at lunch Tues. All were interested in enrolling. They were disappointed that our next in-take isn’t until August. One said she planned to come to all of our open houses so she could pick up some knowledge in advance of the next in-take in August.

Chrystel is putting her entrepreneurial training to work. Our classroom is isolated from any sources of food or drink, so Chrystel decided to open a snack business in the back of the class. She showed up tonight with cases of water and soda. She also had a refrigerator delivered, which she got for free from Bralirwa, the beverage company, because she is selling their product. She did a brisk business tonight.

5. Just as Jason experienced, the student who is the most voracious consumer of the material and the most appreciative of what he is learning is also the most experienced and accomplished person in the class. Sandrali told me he wished he had been recording the class so that he could listen again and ruminate on the “amazing words of wisdom and fresh insights he heard from his instructor.” I don’t think this is just apple polishing. What we are finding is that the most accomplished people are lifelong learners who value new information.

6. Arrived back at my room about 9:45 p.m. Call from Leigh Ann with a “situation.” It never fails. Satan attacks our home while I am far away on extended trips. On one trip our extremely complicated heating system failed during a January cold spell, leaving Leigh Ann’s mother, who was staying with the children, to find a repair company and get it fixed. We are better at leaving lots of home repair names and numbers now. Next, the pipes to an upstairs shower started leaking and ruined the ceiling below. Tonight’s adventure was finding that there is no water at home. Leigh Ann has someone checking the well. We don’t get as upset now that we understand the source, but it is still aggravating and extra pressure on Leigh Ann. Fortunately, she is capable and up to the challenge.

Please pray for Leigh Ann Mulford as she investigates the reason there isn't any water in their home, and for a speedy and accurrate resolution to the problem. Pray also for Dr Mulford to have renewed energy for the week ahead with students and visitors from Chik-fil-A, USA. Thank you!  -skye

No comments: