Friday, June 13, 2008

Joyce Ndugo, at RCE for 6 weeks

Joyce Ndugo has been working and learning here with us at the Center for Entrepreneurship for 6 weeks. She came to the States 10 months ago on a Humphrey Fellowship, and was at UNC for most of her program. It has been great to have Joyce with us, but the time has flown by and now she is preparing to return to her home in Nairobi, Kenya, this Sunday!

Here is a portion of a letter Joyce wrote to us introducing herself and asking if she could join us for her professional affiliation:

In my country I work as a program officer for an organization called the Association of Local Government Authorities of Kenya (ALGAK). My passion for business has led me to write to you. Actually this started seven years ago when I started getting very interested in business issues. Because I am a Christian believer, I have been asking God to direct me.

Since my arrival to the University of North Carolina, I have been encouraged by my program director to use my Humphrey year to pursue my passion. That, she says, is what the program is all about. I have consequently attended some classes on Family Business with an aim of eventually pursuing my business passion when I go back to Kenya in June.

A part of the Humphrey Program comprises professional affiliation of one's interests. I am writing to you to express an interest in joining your organization for about six weeks. My objective is to actualize the business passion I have had, and to do so on Biblical principles.

From your Website I have been encouraged to read about how your center views business as a mission for God's kingdom. I would like to extend the same perspective to Kenya through being affiliated to your organization. My business ideas include the manufacture of food storage plastic paper for Kenyan families, or recycled paper for hotels to international export and import business under the framework called the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA).


We have been blessed to have Joyce become a part of the Center's team, even for such a brief time, and look forward to seeing how the Lord leads her forward to bless her nation through kingdom business!

No comments: